What is Government Affairs?

Government Affairs oversees all questions and issues pertaining to advocacy and licensure in North America on behalf of the members of the NADTA.  

Government Affairs covers the following:

Benefits of advocacy

  • Increases visibility of the profession of drama therapy
  • Finds work in traditional and non-traditional settings
  • Seeks professional recognition for drama therapists in states and provinces
  • Forms working alliances with organizations and professions
  • Finds creative ways to address needs in our society

Frequently Asked Questions 

Q: Is there a drama therapy license where I live?

A: Currently, New York is the only state with a license (Licensed Creative Arts Therapist). Please see Licensing in Canada and Licensing in the US for information specific to your location.

Q: Is there an LCAT in any other place besides New York?

A: Currently, New York is the only state with a license specifically for creative arts therapists. The NADTA is advocating for states to create creative arts therapy boards that will license the various creative arts therapies.

Q: If I have an LCAT in New York but move to another state or province will I be able to use it?

A: No, currently the LCAT is only recognized in the state of New York.

Q: Can I practice drama therapy without a license?

A: This question is a little trickier. Most states and provinces stipulate that you must have a license to practice therapy in private practice. However, some states and provinces will allow you to work in a setting where there are other licensed clinicians on staff. Please check with your licensing board or contact the institution directly to see if you may qualify for a position. These positions usually require a master's degree, and may not be called “drama therapist,” but you may be able to use your drama therapy skills within the position. 

Q: Can I find a job without a license?

A: Absolutely! It takes a little creativity, educating those who may be unfamiliar with the profession and of course advocacy! There are many important non-clinical applications of drama therapy in the fields of education, personal growth, social justice, and corporate settings.

Q: Does New Jersey have a license?

A: Drama therapists are currently seeking licensure along with dance movement therapists in New Jersey.

Q: Is my RDT the same as a license?

A: No, the RDT is the NADTA’s professional credential. 

Q: After I graduate from my master's level drama therapy program, will I be able to sit for licensure in my state or province?

A: The states and provinces have their own requirements for licensure. Some education programs are designed to correspond with the standards and education requirements necessary to sit for a licensure exam in their states. Please check with your licensure board for details.

Q: If I am an Alternative Training student will I qualify for licensure?

A: If you are an AT student and have already graduated with a master's or doctorate from a counseling or social work program, you may qualify for that particular license. Please contact your licensing board for details.

Q: If I go to school in the US, can I work in Canada, and vice versa?

A: Yes! It may take some additional research on how to meet the specific licensure requirements for the location in which you’d like to work.

Q: Does Canada have a license for creative arts therapists?

A: Each province is working to establish counselling licensure which will aim to include drama therapists. Please see Licensure in Canada for more information.