Below you will find links to counseling boards or state health departments, because as drama therapists, in general, our work is more closely aligned with counseling than with other licensed professions. We recognize a wide diversity within our field, however, and you may find that your own work (or training) is more in alignment with a different license or credential. We hope this list will give you a place to start in order to find out more about licensing in your region.

Licensing laws vary widely and the laws change. We also encourage you to find ways to think and work outside the box, in order to find gainful and meaningful employment as a drama therapist, whether or not you are able to be licensed. If you do not have a degree in counseling, you may have to advocate strongly for yourself in order to obtain a license. There are many jobs and opportunities, however, which may not require you to have a license. Be creative and diligent!

There are many people working towards licensure in many different locations. Please reach out the Government Affairs Chair and your Regional Representative to get connected to work already being done!

LCAT Fact Sheet

Are you interested in obtaining licensure in New York State? The LCAT Fact Sheet is a guide prepared to assist you in the process. The information contained in the guide includes tips from people who have applied for the LCAT as well as information from the NYS Office of the Professions.

New Jersey Taskforce

The Drama and Dance/Movement Therapists in New Jersey have become the New Jersey Taskforce and have been diligently working towards seeking licensure (LCDT- Licensed Clinical Drama and Dance/Movement Therapists). Currently, they are gathering legislative sponsors in both the Assembly and the Senate. To find out more about New Jersey efforts, please contact the Government Affairs Chair at [email protected].



The Alabama Board of Examiners in Counseling


Board of Professional Counselors


Arizona Board of Behavioral Health Examiners


Arkansas Board of Examiners in Counseling


Board of Behavioral Sciences

The Californian Association of Marriage and Family Therapists


The Colorado State Board of Professional Counselor Examiners


Department of Public Health


Department of State Division of Professional Regulation

District of Columbia 

Department of Health

Professional Counseling Licensing


Division of Medical Quality Assurance


Georgia Composite Board of Professional Counselors, Social Workers, and Marriage and Family Therapists


The only link we found pertaining to counseling in Guam had to do with being a school counselor. This link may be outdated. It is a PDF document, from January 2011, which has information on state requirements for school counseling, which also applies to Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.


Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs Professional and Vocational Licensing


Professional Licensing


Department of Financial and Professional Regulation


Behavioral Health and Human Services Licensing Board


Bureau of Professional Licensure


Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board


Board of Licensed Professional Counselors


Professional and Occupational Licenses

Licensed Professional Counselors Board of Examiners


Office of Professional and Occupational Regulation

Board of Counseling Professionals


Department of Health and Mental Hygiene

The Board of Professional Counselors and Therapists


Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation

Board of Registration of Allied Mental Health and Human Services Professionals


Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs

Board of Counseling,4601,7-154-35299_63294_27529_27536---,00.html


Board of Behavioral Health and Therapy

Licensed Professional Counselor

NOTE:  check for provisions for unlicensed professionals


State Board of Examiners for Licensed Professional Counselors


Division of Professional Registration

Committee for Professional Counselors


Department of Labor and Industry

Board of Social Work Examiners and Professional Counselors


Department of Health and Human Services

Certified Professional Counselor


Board of Examiners for Marriage and Family Therapists and Clinical Professional Counselors

New Hampshire

Board of Mental Health Practice

New Jersey

Department of Law and Public Safety: Division of Consumer Affairs

Board of Marriage and Family Therapy Examiners

New Mexico

Regulation and Licensing Department

Counseling and Therapy Practice Board

New York

State Education Department


Office of the Professions

North Carolina

Board of Licensed Professional Counselors

North Dakota

Board of Counselor Examiners:


Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage and Family Therapist Board, (with internal links to applying for a license and FAQs):


Division of Professional Counselor Licensing:


Board of Licensed Professional Counselors and Therapists:

Applying for a license


In PA, DT is included in the LPC credential

State Board of Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists, and Professional Counselors:

NOTE:  check for licensure of drama therapy under the guidelines for Professional Counselors in PA

Puerto Rico

The only link pertaining to counseling in Puerto Rico had to do with being a school counselor. This link is a PDF document, from January 2011, which has information on state requirements for school counseling, which also applies to Guam, and the Virgin Islands.

Rhode Island

Department of Health, Healthcare License Information, (scroll down to:) Mental Health & Counseling:

South Carolina

Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation:

South Dakota

Department of Social Services:


Department of HealthBoard of Licensed Professional Counselors, Licensed Marital and Family Therapists and Licensed Pastoral Therapists:


Department of State Health Services, Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors:


Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing:


Board of Allied Mental Health, with information on licensed and non-licensed mental health specialists, and the laws pertaining to mental health counseling in VT:

NOTE:  check for provisions for unlicensed professionals in the state of Vermont

Virgin Islands

The only link pertaining to counseling in the Virgin Islands, had to do with being a school counselor. This link is a PDF document, from January 2011, which has information on state requirements for school counseling, which also applies to Puerto Rico, and Guam.


Board of Counseling:

Department of Health Professions, for information on other kinds of licenses in Virginia:


Washington State Department of Health, spx

West Virginia

West Virginia Board of Examiners in Counseling, which includes links on licensure on becoming and LPC, and an MFT in West Virginia, and many additional links


Professional Counselor License:


Counselor License Requirements:

Additional Information

Counselor License Requirements – state by state: (some information may be out of date)