Advocacy & Licensing

What is the purpose of The Government Affairs Committee?

The government affairs committee provides membership with information and tools to advocate for the profession of drama therapy.  The Government Affairs Committee also develops and maintains relationships with other creative arts therapists and allied professionals.

Benefits of advocacy

  • Increases visibility of the profession of drama therapy
  • Finds work in traditional and non-traditional settings
  • Seeks professional recognition for drama therapists in states and provinces
  • Forms working alliances with organizations and professions
  • Finds creative ways to address needs in our society


Q: Is there a drama therapy license where I live?

A: Currently, New York is the only state with a license (Licensed Creative Arts Therapists). Please see the Licensing Matrix and click on the website for the state licensing board in your area.

Q: Is there an LCAT in any other place besides New York?

A: As Art Therapy is seeking licensure on their own in all 50 states, the LCAT no longer serves as the model for licensure. Music therapy is also seeking licensure on their own in many states. Currently, Dance/Movement Therapy is working with Drama Therapy seeking licensure in New Jersey.

Q: If I have an LCAT in New York but move to another state will I be able to use it?

A: No, currently the LCAT is only recognized in the state of New York.

Q: Can I practice drama therapy without a license?

A: This question is a little more tricky. Most states and provinces stipulate that you must have a license to practice therapy in private practice. However, some states and provinces will allow you to work in a setting where there are other licensed clinicians on staff. Please check with your licensing board or contact the institution directly to see if you may qualify for a position. These positions usually require a Masters degree, and may not be called “drama therapist,” but you may be able to use your drama therapy skills within the position. 

Q: Can I find a job without a license?

A: Absolutely!!It takes a little creativity and educating those who may be unfamiliar with the profession and of course advocacy! There are many important non-clinical applications of drama therapy in the fields of education, personal growth and corporate settings.

Q: Does New Jersey have a license?

A: Drama therapists are currently seeking licensure along with Dance Movement Therapists in New Jersey.

Q: Is my RDT the same as a license?

A: No, the RDT is the NADTA’s professional credential. However, most states will recognize your national credential and allow you to work.

Q: After I graduate from my Masters drama therapy program will I be able to sit for licensure in my state?

A: Every state and province has its own requirement for licensure. Some education programs ( i.e. CIIS and Lesley University in the US), are designed to correspond with the standards and education requirements necessary to sit for a licensure exam in their states. Please check with your licensure board for details.

Q: If I am an Alternative Training student will I qualify for licensure?

A: If you are an AT student and have already graduated with a Masters from from a counseling or social work program, you may qualify for that particular license. Please contact your licensing board for details.